If you’re heading away for Christmas, here are some tips to secure your home over the holidays.
For many of us, it’s the only time of year we can escape the hustle and bustle and head away, so leave the stress behind by locking up and taking steps to prevent opportunistic criminals from getting inside your home.
At Insurance Web, we can help protect your largest financial asset against disaster or mishap, so if you’d like to talk to one of our friendly staff about home and contents insurance call 1300 956 233 or enquire online here.
Tips for Home Security
To ensure you’re relaxing rather than stressing about what’s going on at home, here are several things you can do to prevent thieves from getting inside.
And if by chance they do get inside, some of these tips will alert you, or your neighbours, that an unwelcome visitor might be at your home.
- Set up a smart bulb – These can be controlled remotely giving the appearance that someone might be home when they’re not.
- Consider installing a security system – A trusted way to protect and monitor your home.
- Mow your lawn and trim shrubs that obscure views into your property – Maintaining your property prior to leaving it will ensure it looks neat for longer. Trimming shrubbery also means that if someone is inside your house it will be harder for them to remain unnoticed.
- Be careful about what you share online – While we all want to share happy memories on social media with our followers, it may alert thieves to the fact that your property is unoccupied.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to collect mail, put away rubbish bins and check on the house – Having your mail piling up or your garbage bins sitting on the curb for weeks is an open invitation for opportunistic criminals. Ask your neighbour to keep an eye on your place while you are away.
- Secure all windows, doors, garage and shed – They say when there’s a will there’s a way. So, if anyone is desperate enough to get inside your home, they’ll explore all their avenues to make sure nothing is open. There may also be valuable items inside your garage or shed so it’s important to keep those secure as well.
- Put away the spare key – As above, if thieves try to open all your doors and windows to get inside, they will no doubt hunt around to see if there is a spare key left outside anywhere. So, don’t give them the chance to get in easily and make sure you don’t leave any keys outside.
Tips to Secure Your Home Over the Holidays
For peace of mind if you’re going away these holidays, ensure you’ve taken steps to secure your property.
Insurance Web are your local insurance experts. Known for our simple processes, cost-efficiency and trustworthy staff, we’ll help you get the right business insurance cover so you can trade confidently and securely right now!